Eyes opening experience at Starbucks
Recently there is increasing trends of people going to public places to get online. I am amazed when I stepped into Starbucks in Singapore and today at Starbucks Malaysia. When I stepped into this Starbucks it is full and packed with individuals from range of teenagers till adults.Immediately this question strikes me, why everyone is hanging out in Starbucks with their laptop or any mobile devices?
Is everyone gathering here cause free internet or because their home don’t have internet? Or is it just because it a trend?
Story 1: Loving couple (technology literate)
I’m pretty amazed when I look at this couple which at their 50’s whereby the wife is using the laptop to pay some bills while the husband is using the mobile phone to check out the news. Then they started to share and discuss what they have found / read. It pretty amazing to look at this couple with kids grown up and them is spending their time with themselves while catching up with technology. Even more amazed when I accidentally overheard them saying, “hey, how come this youtube movie is not playing”.
Seriously speaking, I don’t even have time to surf youtube to watch any of those short clips. Is it cause I don’t k now how to enjoy myself or because I just too busy with work.
Story 2: Middle aged computer educated (Does he really knows what is keeping his stuff secured?)
I was sitting next to this man in which well equipped and looked like one of those professional guys that really using their laptop for work over the weekends with free internet. (Probably spend so much time at work place that doesn’t even need an internet at home).
I guess he is the only guy around that has his laptop locked to the table. He must be a frequent visitor to public places for surfing or well maybe he is educated to keep his personal belonging safely.
He was busy with his documents, reading and editing till suddenly his phone rang. Without even locked his Windows, he walked out and answer his calls.
I am so surprised and shocked. So, if the laptop is so important to him, how about the data / information that he kept in the laptop. With all his documents and works on the screen, he just walked out. So, is it a very important call to take till he forgotten to lock his pc? Or he just not educated to do so?
I can’t believe that he just walk out and answer his call just like that. So, this question strike me, does he really know what is security / keeping his personnel belonging including their data/information safe?
Anyway, have a really relaxing few hours sitting at here observing these people. I guess people might blogging about me as well because sitting there alone and not hanging out with friends. LOL

2 Comments:
Amy Hello!
Pardon the intrusion, but I am in the midst of applying for the Consulting Graduate Program in KL. I found you while searching Linkedin for the hiring manager. I am hoping you might know who the hiring manager is for the program or the HR recruiter to speak with? Any info would be helpful. The best way to reach me is at: walkkj@gmail.com. Thank You!
In response to your blog - I went to university in Seattle, WA..going to cafes is a huge part of the Seattle culture. Surfing the net, researching, etc...is the perfect way to re-motivate yourself when you are sick of staying home.
hi Kim,
i'm working for Accenture. I believe you may check out www.accenture.com for job application.
on the other hand, i really jealous with your experience *at least not so boring like me cause all the while only in m'sia :P
Post a Comment
<< Home